Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Little Green Girl


Alex is one smart kiddo (let the parental bragging begin).

I remember her well-check at the pediatrician's offie when she was two years old. She said to Dr. Johnson, "I like your stethoscope." The doctor looked at me, surprised, and said, "That's not a very two year old word..." She's always been very verbal, very good at expressing herself. Math...that's another story.... She's joined her mom and dad on that one.

A few weeks ago, her 2nd grade class did a special unit on global warming. She came home VERY fired up, talking about all the things that were bad for the environment. After her impassioned speech, she began walking the house, looking for things that wasted energy. When dusk fell, she began turning lights off at stacatto speed I'd leave the kitchen to go to the bathroom and I'd return to see only the glow of the gas burners on the stove. It took me a full 20 minutes to recover from the shock of someone else caring about our monthly check to Puget Sound Energy. She then asked, several times, why people didn't recycle and what were all the things that could be recycled. We sorted through our recycling bin, identifying, glass, plastic, paper.

The next day, we got in the car and she said, "Mom, whatever you do, DON'T turn on the air conditioning. It wastes gas. Ya, know global warming." Luckily, it was only 31 degrees, so turning on the AC was not really an attractive option. Not so many sun breaks in Seattle lately.

An 8 year old gets it.

An 8 year old spurred me on to buy canvas bags for my groceries, so I don't use the totally un-biodegradable plastic ones.

An 8 year old has me shopping for a new car. Apparently, a suburban is not very environmentally friendly.

I bought new light bulbs, switched my washing maching temp to cold, and have turned the thermostat down.

My little green girl is amazing.

Taking notes from the 2nd grade,

Jodie

PS - ALEX FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Go Alex! I love it. She could seriously be the president one day. I would vote for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodi! It's Cathi Workman- I love your blog. I love catching up on your family, and i LOVE this post about Alex. Hope you guys are doing well- miss you all lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jodie,

    My name is Julie and my son Nick is the one who gave the presentation to Mrs. Lein's class on global warming. He's a senior at Woodinville High School and it was his senior project. Mrs. Lein forwarded me your blog and I showed it to Nick this morning. I just wanted to let you know he was THRILLED to see how much impact his presentation made on Alex! (I am too :) ). It sounds like you are raising such a bright, engaged little girl and budding environmental activist!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - your opinion matters.