Thursday, May 22, 2008

Spotted in Safeway


A few weeks ago, my kids and I made a frenzied stop at Safeway to pick up ingredients for dinner and lunches on our way to Tae Kwon Do. Next to the pink lady apples, I noticed a woman staring at us. I smiled and we continued to rush around grabbing stuff off shelves at lightning speed. We made it to the check out line, wheels of the cart squealing, and my kids started fighting over who got to load what onto the checkout belt. I can't remember what I said, or how we made it through the squabble. I only remember that the same woman from the produce section was standing behind us in line.

The next Sunday at church, I felt a tap on my shoulder. 
"Hi," the woman said. "You don't know me, but I saw you with your kids at Safeway. You're Mike's wife."

I started frantically trying to remember...did I yell at my kids? Did I threaten them? Did I use any bad language? Was I purchasing any wine?

"Hi, I'm Jodie." I replied, emphasizing my first name (I am "Mike's wife"but, I much prefer being called my own name) and extending my hand. "It's nice to meet you." 

"Nice to meet you. We just love your husband." And, then she walked away. 

She just wanted to let me know she spotted me, and that they love Mike. 

After 12 years of being married to a pastor, (one whom I love very much, support,  and think is very hot), one would think I'd be used to this kind of interaction. For some reason, however, this particular one put me in a fowl mood. I thought to myself, Why wouldn't she just say hi at the grocery store instead of silently staring/ judging? Why can't some people remember my first name?  Am I forever to be known simply as "Mike's wife?" 

I calmed down, prayed a little, took lots of deep breaths, and thought through our unique station in life. This is what I came up with.

I know who I am, God knows who I am, my close friends know who I am, and my husband knows who I am. That's enough.

Oh, and if you see me out and about, could you say hi? My name is Jodie.

3 comments:

  1. After having lunch with you guys in Bellevue, I told Jay I'd NEVER want to be famous.

    All the stares. All the hellos. All the "how are you's?"

    Don't cha just want to eat lunch? Or go grocery shopping?

    My hat goes off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. People usually just say, "Hi there Mrs. Butterworth" and try to fake their way through conversations. It's funny. Yes, I know how you feel sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie, we will definitely say hi from now on!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - your opinion matters.