Thursday, September 11, 2008
School Lunches SOS
We're on week 2 of school and I'm already out of lunch ideas. I'm not a fan of processed food, but find it inevitable, and try to minimize the sugar, AKA high fructose corn syrup. You know, fruit snacks, kid "yogurt" and oreos.
There's a hot lunch option in their school cafeteria that is straight from a frozen package or can. We fall back on this option when mommy wakes up late.
Here's my top 10 staples, the must buy in bulk from Costco sack lunch items.
Please, please, please add to the list. My children will thank you.
1. Sandwiches. (Turkey, ham or PB&J - bonus if you keep switching up the jelly flavors). I've tried egg salad, too. Not a hit.
2. String Cheese. Freeze it, then it thaws by lunchtime without getting floppy and soggy.
3. Sliced apple with peanut butter dip in tupperware.
4. Taco salad using last night's leftover taco stuff.
5. Cold pizza from Domino's from the night before.
6. Soup in a thermos.
7. Kashi granola bars - fiber AND protein.
8. Fruit leathers. No sugar. Still cause cavities.
9. Carrots or celery.
10. Misc fruit.
What fun things do YOU put in your kids' lunches that are healthy yet, pass the scrutiny of said children?