Monday, November 24, 2008

NKOTB

Lately, I have been actively involved in rituals of nostalgia. I’ve looked through Jr. High and High School photos and yearbooks, become Facebook Friends with many people from times gone by, attended an Amy Grant concert, and finally, last night, in a culminating moment of complete rejection of the fact that I am now in my thirties, went to a New Kids on the Block concert. Yes. I did. I really, really did.

For the record, I was a fan when I was 13 years old. The fanship only lasted 12 months, I swear. During that 12 months, however, I was an unrepentant evangelist for NKOTB. I should have been a paid member of their marketing staff. I had BOP magazine posters, TEEN BEAT covers and fan newletters (via snail mail) of the band. At one point, I actually believed that when I left messages on thier fan club hotline, that the 5 members of the band would spontaneously arrive on my front doorstep to bask in the glory of my fluorescent spandex.

It didn’t happen, in case you were wondering.

You simply must view an awesome video on my facebook page. It’s 8 seconds of 3 moms re-living the pre-pubescent glory days of enamored devotion to a bubble gum band. Except last night, NKOTB was not so bubble gum. Shall I recount the numerous camera shots that focused explicitly on the backsides of the band? Shall I detail how Donny ( 37 years old) strip teased in front of thousands of mature, salivating women? How COULD I possibly describe the plight of the Security Forces, trying to prevent thousands of insane females from rushing the stage? Perhaps I should share the large number of multi-colored bras that were flung on the stage……….

At any rate, I laughed REALLY, REALLY hard last night. At myself, at my friends, and at the scores of women pretending to be 13 again.

My friend Neely wore leg warmers. Real. Freaking. Leg Warmers.

5 comments:

  1. I love that Neely wore leg warmers. I'm sure she fit RIGHT in!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donnie's 39! :) But, it was an awesome night. I went to Vancouver and Tacoma. Now to come off this NK high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHUT UP!!! I am going on Wed. night with some girlfriends and I can't wait!!! We'll have to talk about it at Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so there too.

    My view was slightly different, because I was 6 when the parted ways... but I still found their irresistible pop lines in my iPod, even still.

    It was a GREAT show. I was primarily there for Lady Gaga, but NKOTB... yeah they know how to bring a show.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - your opinion matters.