Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sassy

My daughter is 8.

And she is giving me sass. Back talk, attitude...the pre-teen eye roll.

I picked her up from school yesterday and was immediately slapped with straight,undiluted sassafrass.

"How was your day? Are you ready to go, honey? We're also taking Justin home. Have you seen him?"
"MOM. You. are. so. RIDICULOUS."(Eye roll here.)
"What?"
"Just, stop OK? LOOK for him."
"Are you kidding?"
"See what I mean, riDICulous."

Luckily we found Justin, who was hiding from me, and went on our merry way to Tae Kwon Do. At Tae Kwon Do, I couldn't get her sparring gear on her arm.

"Uh, this won't go. Push into it..."
"UGGhhh! Let me do it myself!!"
"I'm sorry, was I being Ridiculous?"
"Stop it, mom."

We debriefed the sass later in the evening. Turns out a boy had called her a baby just before I arrived at school. She wasn't actually mad at ME at all.
"Mom, I didn't mean to call you ridiculous. Just ignore me when I get like that." (No eye roll, Big hug.)

A lovely side effect of parenting is that your kids feel free to blame you for stuff that's not your fault. Oh wait, I do that to God all the time.
He has patience with my tantrums and is big enough to handle my anger and disappointment.
I guess I'll hang in there with Alex.




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I'm so glad to know there was a happy ending. I couldn't imagine your sweet precious daughter ever talking like that. I mean...I get that from my 4 year old all the time...but your kids give me hope for a better future! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the sass. I feel like India is already giving me the 1-year-old version. And Jafta is channeling Napolean Dynamite with his, "Mom, gosh. I already TOLD you",

    I know it's just gonna get worse.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - your opinion matters.